In this workshop, participants will be introduced to the basic cinematography skills that allow them to film in different day and night situations as well as interior and exterior locations. Realistic lighting setup will be discussed throughout the sessions, and participants will learn how to alter lighting and camera angles creatively for dramatic reasons.
Throughout the workshop, camera and lighting will be intertwined and both theoretical and practical approaches will be applied, giving the participants the chance to learn mostly by examples. Theoretical parts of the workshop will be given in parallel with the practical parts.
By the end of these sessions students should be able to:
- Understand the essential elements that make an image, including Lenses, the different variables that affect exposure, how they affect it, and the side effects that are caused by each variable;
- Learn about different types of film lighting, and acquire the necessary tools to deal with different lighting situations, including creative and mood lighting;
- Have an enhanced understanding of basic camera setup & settings;
- Learn how to use different camera movements and angles and implement lighting and how to use different camera grips to create different types of movements;
- Develop a Cinematographer’s perspective from script to screening through a scenes’ execution;
About the instructor - Hasan Salame
Hasan studied TV/Film at the Lebanese American University in Beirut and participated in many cinematography workshops and master classes at different places including Lebanese Film Academy, FAMU Film School, and Berlinale Talents. He worked on different projects in Lebanon and abroad. Many of the films that he worked on went to festivals and won different awards. His work includes several music videos, ads, TV-Series, short films, and feature films.
Saturday, 18 March | 10h00 am - 03h30 pm
Sunday, 19 March | 10h00 am - 03h30 pm
Saturday, 25 March | 10h00 am - 03h30 pm
Sunday, 26 March | 10h00 am - 03h30 pm
Beirut Film Institute, Suit 98, Saroulla Centre, Hamra - Beirut
Class capacity is limited, all applicants are subject to 50% nonrefundable fee in case of withdrawal or absence.